Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Non-resolutions for the New Year

Let's not kids ourselves. We mean well, making resolutions of change and promise for the new year. But to be honest, New Years is simply another day. Time, dates, clocks... all that is man-made. Something to help us keep track, or try to control time.

Thing is... why do we set ourselves up every year to feel like failures when we ditch all those well-intended resolutions? We know we won't keep 95% of them. Yet, every year, we write down our goals all over again.

WHY?
Well, because we are always hopeful of change. And we are always looking for something new. An adventure, if you will.


Walt Disney said that we keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we are curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.


And in all honesty, isn't that what we want? To find that right path we are supposed to be on? The one that will help us reach our dreams?

Of course, weight loss, quitting bad habits, or trying to do something more often and better are all wonderful goals to strive for. But let us seek out what our hearts desire is and run, run, run after that.

I'm not making any resolutions for this year. I already know what I need to do and I'm going to work my butt off trying to do that. I know now what I want from my life. I believe with all my heart that I'm finally living out my purpose. I've been given talents to carry me through this life and finally, I'm using them.

And it feels wonderful!


So, maybe this year, instead of writing down that standard list of resolutions, let's call them something else. Anything else. Instead of setting yourself up for failure, establish a plan that will lead you to what you want out of life. No matter how simple or complicated that desire might be.

Don't be afraid. All that's require is simply taking one step at a time. Staying on course. And never, ever, giving up on your dreams.

Walt Disney never gave up. Talk about a visionary. And one of my all time heroes. I love what he did for our world. The beauty and joy in his creations are timeless and will never fade away. His inspiration still spurs on generation after generation of creatives to think outside the box, to wish upon a star and believe that anything is possible.

And it is. It really is.

Happy New Year Friends! May the coming months take you to new places beyond your wildest imagination.



And thank you all who have bought my book Illuminated. Thank you for your encouraging feed back. I've done better than I anticipated in my first three weeks of publication.

I've received so much great feedback, even from people who I know aren't big readers. One or two have even told me they cried in places and had to stop everything toward the end of the book so they could keep reading and find out what happened.

Any idea what that does to a writer's heart? Wow. And my head... oh my I have to keep check so I can get through the doorways. Ha ha ha.  Kidding.

However, I'm so excited and ready to start on the next book. I keep changing the title but it will have something to do with Luminous. lol.  Luckily, it's mostly written, but needs some changes and needs to be finished. Can't wait to dive back into Alburnium for more adventures. 

No comments: